- The Mornington Peninsula is world-renowned for fine wine. Its maritime climate makes it perfect for grape-growing, and the epicentre for chardonnay and pinot noir. Whether you prefer your chardonnay lean and citrusy or rich and creamy, you'll find one from Mornington to suit. If it's pinot you're after, the the red fruits grown on the Peninsula produce elegant wines, with integrated tannins adding to their complexities. Add these four to your must-try list.
- Preserved lemons, lemon sherbet, grapefruit pith, quince and ginger provide the framework for this wine. With white florals, wet stone, struck match, and plenty of yeasty goodness. The palate is juicy, chewy and textured – concentrated and layered – while remaining sophisticated and composed. Tangy, natural acidity drives a complex and balanced wine. Halliday Wine Companion, 95 points.
- Pinot noir is Eldridge Estate's flagship varietal, the 2017 has red berry on the nose, with a balanced and lengthy palate of red fruits in an ethereal smoothie with a savoury spice to finish it off. David Lloyd says this vintage is pinot noir at its very best – delicate and pure, one of the best produced at Eldridge and best enjoyed with friends. Halliday Wine Companion, 94 points.
- Picked in February, and pressed on the same day, acidity is maximised and the cool-climate highlighted by citrus fruits. The close attention paid results in a subtle, lean while balanced wine. Drinking for the next 10 years, the freshness of the chardonnay pairs perfectly with seafood, specifically a plate of oysters, or a seafood linguini in those cooler months.
- “This is seamless. It brings together the best flavours – stone fruit, lemon curd, nougatine, grilled nuts and more besides, with acidity leading. It has great energy and drive, length and line. Up there as one of the better Mornington Peninsula chardonnays this vintage. Bravo.” Jane Faulkner, Halliday Wine Companion, 96 points.
RRP $70 | Drink to 2032 | montalto.com.au
RRP $70 | Drink to 2027 | eldridge-estate.com.au
RRP $58 | Drink to 2032 | oceaneight.com.au
RRP $85 | Drink to 2032 | crittendenwines.com.au
Learn more about the Mornington Peninsula in our essential guide.
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with the featured wineries.